- Liquid out of 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Chocolate Mousse Base:
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup melted semi sweet chocolate chips divided
- 1/2 tbsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp The Maple Guild maple syrup
- 2 cans coconut milk – chilled overnight
- 3 tbsp The Maple Guild maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp matcha (optional)
- Pomegranate seeds/ mint/ candy canes for garnish
Peppermint Chocolate Mousse
Developed by Chef Bai of chefbai.kitchen
- First, make aquafaba whip by adding liquid from the cans of chickpeas and lemon juice to a stand mixer.. Whisk for about 2 minutes with the whisk attachment. Whisk until a foam starts forming. Tip: cold aquafaba whips quicker.
- Slowly add coconut sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat on high until stiff peaks form. It could take 10 minutes so be patient! Once the peaks form, stop the mixer immediately as you can overwhip.
- While the mixer is mixing the aquafaba- grab a food processor and add the ingredients for the mousse base.
- Process on low until everything is smooth and evenly combined. You may have to stop and scrape with a rubber spatula to get it fully combined.
- Scrape mousse into bowl and slowly add aquafaba foam. Add in about a cup at a time and fold it all together until there are no white streaks left – it will deflate and that’s ok! Keep repeating this until you have added in all the aquafaba foam.
- Add mousse to little jars, cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- While mousse is setting, wash the mixer bowl and open both cans of coconut milk – careful not to shake them!
- Scrape the top fatty layer of coconut cream from coconut milk cans into the stand mixer of both cans. Careful not to incorporate the bottom coconut water as it will cause the cream to break. Set the coconut water aside for later use.
- Once you add the cream, whisk on high until you start to see peaks form (30 seconds).
- Slowly pour the maple syrup and matcha is desired into the cream. Keep whisking until combined and texture resembles whipped cream.
- Top the mousse with coconut cream, pomegranate seeds, mint leaves or broken candy cane pieces.