- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp The Maple Guild Original Grade-A Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp The Maple Guild Maple Vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium sweet potato, spiraled or chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 bunches red chard, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Flakey sea salt + pepper
Red Chard & Caramelized Onions
Recipe developed by Chef Bailey of chefbai.kitchen
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Add a large pinch of salt and stir.
- Cook onions while stirring for about 10 minutes until they soften and start to brown.
- Add in maple syrup and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add maple vinegar to deglaze pan, stir until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add garlic powder and sweet potatoes. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add veggie broth, cover and steam for about 2 minutes or until sweet potatoes have softened. Cook for 2 minutes more with the lid off to reduce the liquid a bit.
- Add the chard while stirring, it will release water and start to wilt.
- Once the chard has wilted, immediately remove from heat and transfer into serving bowl.
- Top with red pepper flakes, sea salt, nutritional yeast and hemp seeds.
- Enjoy immediately!